Simplicity 8139 Bathing Suit

Simplicity 8139 Bathing Suit

After the this summer’s failed attempts to find a romper that didn’t look awful on me (ugh elastic waist!), I decided to sew a vintage style playsuit. This was my first completed everyday clothing item, since I usually only sew Renaissance clothing for reenactment.

I used Simplicity’s pattern 8139 for a bathing suit and modified the skirt into a short, omitting the inner elastic leg shorts.
This was my first time EVER installing a zipper (Renaissance clothing didn’t have zippers) so I was very excited to have it look decent on my first try!

Center back zipper

The rest of the playsuit was simple to put together, but I could stand to shorten the straps slightly if I make it again. I’m short, so that’s not an uncommon problem. I’m also curious to try a full bust adjustment (FBA) and see how that changes the bodice.

Loose bodice front